Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Game Boy an Anthropomorphic Doll


Recently my son Jackson and I created an art doll for a challenge in Art Doll Quarterly Magazine.  The challenge was to create an Anthropomorphic Doll. 

From dictionary.com

an·thro·po·mor·phic

[an-thruh-puh-mawr-fik] Show IPA
adjective
1.
ascribing human form or attributes to a being or thing not human, especially to a deity.
2.
resembling or made to resemble a human form: an anthropomorphic carving.
Also, an·thro·po·mor·phous.
 
While sitting on the couch thinking of the meaning of this word and how to pronounce it correctly my youngest son Jackson asked what I was trying to say and what did it mean. We sat there for a few minutes thinking of things that would be cool to make when my older teenage son came flying down the stairs, through open the fridge grabbed a drink and ran back up stairs to get back on his computer where he was playing an online game with his friends.  Jackson said, " If we were going to make a doll like that of Matthew he would be half computer"!  We both started cracking up and that was when we decided to create Game Boy.
 
Game boy is 5 inches tall and his hands were created as Wii remotes.  Game Boy is made out of paper clay with a tin foil armature. I haven't made too many dolls before but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to create something with my kid. 
 
Game Boy's monitor/head was created using Yupo paper http://yupousa.com/what-is-yupo/ and liquid FX Inks and Dylusions Spray inks.  I dripped and sprayed the inks onto the Yupo paper and Jackson with a straw blew the inks all around the paper. Then we cut out a piece of it to fit inside of the monitor/head.  We then used a thin piece of plastic and glued it on the front to create the outer portion of the monitor.  Game Boy was painted in acrylics and sealed with a glossy varnish. 
 
 
Game Boy was sent of this week to ADQ and I got an email that he arrived but one of his legs broke during shipping :(.  Note to self: Use foil through the legs as well to help strengthen them.  ADQ offered to glue the leg back on and said it was still in consideration for the challenge.  I thought this was so kind of ADQ to let me know what happened and to offer to glue it!  Jackson and I are so excited to have this entered into the challenge and we had a blast making him.  We are crossing our fingers that we will see him in the fall addition of ADQ.  Wish us luck!
P.S. When we were finished making Game Boy we took him up stairs to show Matthew what we created inspired by him and he looked up from his computer smiled and said, "Cool".  
LOL, I think Game Boy represents many teenage boys now a days!
 
P.S.P.S  Anyone a fan of Shel Silverstein? I am and Game Boy reminds me of one of my favorite poems from his book, "Where the side walk ends".  Does anyone remember, "Jimmy Jet and his TV set"?  http://www.turnoffyourtv.com/poemsessays/jimmyjet.html
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog. Please feel free to comment on any of my posts. If you try a project and you have pictures please post them I would love to see them!

I hope you enjoy reading about my journey in the world of art and crafts.

Happy Creating!
Lesa B.